Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Marathon from Marathon: Part 1



 
Our trek on our south eastern Atlantic intracoastal circumnavigation.  Our stops on the way south are highlighted in blue, and our stops on the way north are highlighted in green. 


We have finally made it back to Morehead City safe and sound.  It has been a long and exhausting trip, over one thousand miles in six weeks.  I have overheard Bud translate this distance with his family on several occasions.  As he sees it, if we can make 50 miles in a day by boat, and the average driver can make ten times that distance, 500 miles, in a day by car, we are talking about traveling ten thousand miles by car in a month and a half.  That would equate to traveling round trip across country by car from Savannah, Georgia to Los Angeles, California two times during summer break.  Some families do this trip once over a summer holiday, but most folks never do it twice…..except perhaps the professional truckers.  Add to the distance traveled, imagine doing this on unfamiliar state or county highways that have not been maintained in over ten years.  And yes, there are a lot of 'potholes' on the ICW!

Our trip down the ICW was in many ways on the boundary of adventure (road sign in Beaufort, SC).


In the next series of blog entries, we will share with you some of the many adventures we had along the way.

2 comments:

  1. I keep thinking of that adorable little girl with the fabulous grin bouncing into my classroom everyday . . . never in a million years would I have thought you'd be having this type of adventure! How wonderful for you and what a challenge! I LOVE reading your blog and following along vicariously through you and Bud. I am so happy for you! I smile every time I think of your mom and how she loved talking about you. I used to laugh and laugh at our conferences. What a treasure . . . and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to have people cheering us on, like you. This is definitely not as easy as I thought it would be. Your encouragement helps us make it through the difficult times and continue on.

      I remember your classroom in second grade, and have fond memories of you playing the guitar and telling of your travels to Ireland to kiss the Blarney Stone. You are one of the people in my life that have inspired me to travel and see the world. Thank you, Sherry.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment. We would love to hear from you.